Aller au contenu
lafrak

Parent discipline

Messages recommandés

Yesterday (Dec 26) at 2 particular games in a Bantam tournament, the reaction of the parents clearly identified to me the reason why their teams lost (or are losing ???).

I'm posting this in the English forum section because both sets of parents are English speaking (one from east central Mtl -Fed), the other from Verdun-LaSalle.

Game 1: Bantam A level - the losing team (4-1) already had several (4??) players suspended before the tournament and some others were on vacation. The winning team is fairly solid having gone undefeated for almost 20 straight games. Yet, the losing team has good, strong players with good speed - even with call ups and good execution. But, the team played (or plays) on the rough edge (extra push at incidental contact, interference, stick work, etc). Needless to say their style cost them yesterday - at least. Worse, the parents constantly yelled at the refs. This yelling did seem to influence the refs to call one borderline penalty against the other team, but parent reactions probably had a greater influence on their kids to continue their style. Also, we must keep in mind that it is very understandable that refs have a way of remembering who it is who is constantly showing poor sporstmanship, who it is that are accusing them of being paid off, being incompetent etc. In my opinion, the parents are to blame for their team's loss(es) more than the kids.

Game 2: Bantam AA - The team with the greater probability of winning (POC) won 5-2. In this case, the losing team's fans were constantly criticising their own coach, even to the point of directly communicating with their sons on the bench or as the players changed shift. They fed their criticisms off each other (playing style, offensive & defensive systems, length of ice time, choice of players on specialty teams, and even "the coach does not want to win!!" etc). Ironically, they did express appreciation for the opposing team's offensive style. BUT, I can imagine the rides home - as the parents must clearly have blamed the coaches for the loss. What team spirit!!

My conclusion: Parents, please sit back and enjoy the game and your son's efforts. Keep your frustrations or disappointments private & silent. If you can't then you should stay away. Let your sons play for fun, grow, learn team discipline, sports discipline and good sportsmanship.

Kevin (Anjou)

Invité Malcommode

Dear lafrak, what a good comment. But i just want to specify that, that kind of behaviour is present in all level. Presently at the Boucherville tournament, i go into the stand just to listen to the parents and let me tell you its not pretty. So again good comment.

Veuillez vous connecter pour commenter

Vous pourrez laisser un commentaire après vous êtes connecté.

Connectez-vous maintenant